Word analogies are one of the most effective ways to build vocabulary while simultaneously developing critical thinking skills. Unlike vocabulary activities that require students to memorize word definitions, word analogies develop a deep understanding of a word meaning by exploring the relationships between words. When students form logical connections between words, they create a mental network of ideas, which deepens understanding and increases retention. While solving word analogies, students are contextualizing the words as they search for word relationships.
When students work with analogies, they…
- expand and deepen their vocabulary.
- understand the relationships between ideas and words.
- recognize and understand multiple-meaning words.
- think critically and apply logical reasoning.
- learn to decipher word meanings based on context.
- build a network of understanding that improves retention and aids future learning.
What is included:
- 10 word analogies for each level: That is a total of 40 word analogies. These have been expertly crafted using Tier Two words for the respective grade levels. Note: There are no grade level labels (you will only see “Level X”) on these materials, which means you can use them with any grade.
- Leveled Printables: The included printables are provided in four different formats to allow you to deliver the exact level of support your students need.
- Teaching Notes: Tips, tricks, and instructional rationale are provided for every component.
Looking More Word Analogy Resources?
Word Analogies Grade 3
Word Analogies Grade 4
Word Analogies Grade 5
Word Analogies Grade 6
Word Analogies Grade 7
Word Analogies Grade 8
Word Analogies Grade 9
Word Analogies Grade 10
BUNDLE: Elementary Analogies Grades 3, 4, 5 & 6
BUNDLE: Secondary Analogies Grades 7, 8, 9 & 10
Stay Connected with Teacher Thrive!
➜SIGN UP for my email newsletters.
➜VISIT me on TeacherThrive.com.
➜FOLLOW me on Facebook.
➜FOLLOW me on Pinterest.
➜FOLLOW me on Instagram.
Please read: This is a nonrefundable digital download. Please read the description carefully and examine the preview file before purchasing.
© Copyright 2018 M. Tallman. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or licensee. This is intended to be used by one teacher unless additional licenses have been purchased. The reproduction of any other part of this product is strictly prohibited. Copying any part of this product and placing it on the Internet in any form (even a personal/classroom website) is strictly forbidden. Doing so makes it possible for an Internet search to make the document available on the Internet, free of charge, and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).